Are these light Sussexes?

Reliablesquirrel

Songster
May 28, 2021
Ireland
So we recently got 6 three week old chicks. We never saw the parents but according to the owner they were “Light Sussexes crosses with bantams. I thought this was strange- shouldn’t it be a certain type of bantam? Anyway, none of them are bantam sized other than chick no 6. Chick no 6 has slightly feathered legs and a very bushy tail. I think they are all roosters except chick no 1 😭.
Anyway, the questions I want to ask are:
1. Do chicks no 1-5 look like light Sussex crosses, and if so do you know what crosses?
2. Though chick no 6 was supposed to be a light Sussex, I don’t think think he looks like one, so do you know what cross he may be? (I was wondering about pekin?)
3. I think I have 1 pullet and 5 Roos, but if anyone thinks there is a possibility of another pullet please let me know!
Thanks 😊

Chick no 1
C6F8A89A-A39D-40DC-B97F-C6E33AC2CFFA.jpeg

Chick no 2
E8E6794C-24FE-4710-B88F-07102FF2C1A5.jpeg

Chick no 3
2C2C7F55-8203-4E59-A28A-63A1E51324FB.jpeg

Chick no 4
C25B3001-2C66-41BF-AAAC-978750558466.jpeg

Chick no 5
BC0E0EEC-C533-42BE-BEB9-547CEB63574E.jpeg

Chick no 6
B3EAF6C3-CA27-4C35-8C4F-ED868C943A17.jpeg

So we recently got 6 three week old chicks. We never saw the parents but according to the owner they were “Light Sussexes crosses with bantams. I thought this was strange- shouldn’t it be a certain type of bantam? Anyway, none of them are bantam sized other than chick no 6. Chick no 6 has slightly feathered legs and a very bushy tail. I think they are all roosters except chick no 1 😭.
Anyway, the questions I want to ask are:
1. Do chicks no 1-5 look like light Sussex crosses, and if so do you know what crosses?
2. Though chick no 6 was supposed to be a light Sussex, I don’t think think he looks like one, so do you know what cross he may be? (I was wondering about pekin?)
3. I think I have 1 pullet and 5 Roos, but if anyone thinks there is a possibility of another pullet please let me know!
Thanks 😊

Chick no 1
View attachment 2694648

Chick no 2
View attachment 2694651

Chick no 3
View attachment 2694655

Chick no 4
View attachment 2694658

Chick no 5
View attachment 2694661

Chick no 6
View attachment 2694663
Yep, 5 of them are cockerels.

Do you have any other chicks?
We have two 7 week old marans- one roo and one pullet. We will keep all of these even if they are roosters unless they turn out to be very aggressive. I once read that Sussex chicken are very docile and the roosters can sometimes be kept together- does anyone know of this is true?

We have two 7 week old marans- one roo and one pullet. We will keep all of these even if they are roosters unless they turn out to be very aggressive. I once read that Sussex chicken are very docile and the roosters can sometimes be kept together- does anyone know of this is true?
Do NOT keep the roosters! They will **rape** your hens to death. At most, you can keep one with two hens. But even that is dangerous.
I’m deadly serious. If you keep them, you will end up with dead hens and roosters killing each other.
Plus these aren’t even pure Sussex. We can’t make temperament assumptions.

Last edited:
Do NOT keep the roosters! They will rape your hens to death. At most, you can keep one with two hens. But even that is dangerous.
I’m deadly serious. If you keep them, you will end up with dead hens and roosters killing each other.
Plus these aren’t even pure Sussex. We can’t make temperament assumptions.
I'm going to have to agree. My first batch of chickens (I was only probably 10 years old) we had four pullets and four cockerels and honestly didn't know any better. Obviously we figured it out real fast after everyone matured but it was such a deeply unsettling experience that I am totally against having a rooster over too few hens. They were Silkies which is a docile breed but they still bloodied each other up and my heart would break for the poor pullets. :( I cannot even imagine how bad it would be with only one pullet for that many cockerels. Right now I have one rooster over nine hens and all but one are saddled up due to defeathering. Your pullet will get killed. I recommend rehoming as soon as you can. There are some issues that can be debated but this is not one of them. You cannot have more cockerels than pullets

Thank you, I’m thinking of taking the pullet away and putting her in with my other hens. I’m going to let the roosters off free range on the farm...and they can take their chances

There is no way I will leave the roosters with the pullet, but I read on another thread about all roosters flocks, I might try that and see if they don’t hurt each other too bad. We have another rooster tho (I know it sounds awful, our flock consists of 6 roosters and 4 hens 🤣) and I would really like to keep him, preferably with the hens, so would one rooster and 4 hens be manageable? Or would I need to get more hens...

Back
Top Bottom