Are these little feathers coming off tail of EE a sign of roo or a breed thing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by susanah, Aug 9, 2013.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

There are tiny little pieces of feathers coming off the tips of her back feathers today. Does this have to do with sex or could it be a genetic trait?

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Not sure what you mean about the pieces.. however from picture, both birds are females, from their color pattern(males in those colors would have very different colors and patterns).

3. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    It's the one in the front. That's some good news. She is our favorite. Someone else called her a male in another post, but we are still hoping girl. But if you click on the pic and look at the end of the tail feathers, they are not smooth. And the one we know is a roo has the same thing going on.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    OK so it was tail not back..

if it's the clear bar close to the tip of tail feather, it's called a fret or stress bar. If a bird is stressed during a feather's growth, it can develop a line through the feather. This is not genetic and will eventually disappear once the bird molts out again.

That one most definitely is a female. No question about it. A boy in this same color would have loads of white on neck, wings, back and big solid black patches on breast. Similar to silver duckwing rooster- look up pictures of roos with this color.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    They look like pullet to me :)

6. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Here is a better pic of the tip of the tail. If you click on the pic and look closely at the end of the longest feathers it looks kind of hairlike instead of smooth.

7. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    Hooray! Any more votes for pullet?

Is there a specific color name for this EE? Or are they pretty much just mutts since EE's aren't a true breed?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  8. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a pullet for sure! :D

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see what you're talking about with the ends of the feathers, but have no idea what it means. The bird is definitely a female.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by