1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these little ones boys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Jul 1, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Cochins are 10 weeks old today, and I THINK I've figured out who my roosters are going to be. Out of 14 chicks (only 4 of those were straight run), I'm pretty sure I have 2 cockerals. I ordered 4 "blue" Cochins and ended up with 3 blacks and a splash. Will the black rooster and splash hen give me any blue chicks? I'm not really up to speed with the whole genetics thing but I'm trying to learn. So here are the suspects:
    [​IMG]
    They always hang together, and both have great personalities so far. One has more defined points on its comb, but they both are about the same size and body type. One of them will be staying and the other will be going to live with a friend of mine. Here's a close up picture of both:
    [​IMG]
    The one with the more "pointy" comb
    [​IMG]
    The one with the less defined comb. Which one would you keep?
    Here's one more pic of one of them with the pullets, just for comparison. The other suspect was there, just outside the picture.
    [​IMG]
    They're buddies for now and go everywhere together. So are they boys, or do I need to keep waiting to figure it out? Thanks everyone!

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Rhey look rooish to me, but I do not have much experience with Cochins.

3. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I was thinking pullets.

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:I hope you're right and not me.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Well I'm hoping for at least 1 roo. They're alot more developed than everyone else...knowing my luck, because I want a rooster I'll have all pullets [​IMG]

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I don't see any roos. If you do have a black roo and mate him to a splash hen you should get blue chicks.

7. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i agree,i see girls but a black to splash breeding gives you all blues.

edited to say that i would keep them until they crowed.cochins are so hard to tell and you would be crying if you gave away boy and needed one.

if those other cochins are the same age,they just may be boys.i am no cochin expert,sorry.
    all very pretty [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Don't get rid of any in a hurry. To me they look like pullets that are maturing slightly faster than their flockmates.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ok- so I'm still playing the waiting game [​IMG] They like to keep me guessing- I think its their favorite, "hey here comes that weird looking chicken, quick look like a rooster!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by