Are these Male or Female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by danawhatley90, Aug 26, 2014.

1. danawhatley90

danawhatley90 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Alabama
    I got 6 Bantam chicks back in April. They were sold to me to all be hens as babies, but recently three are starting to look like roos... [​IMG]
    What do you think? They should be almost 18 weeks...
    This one has the most prominent comb but is the most docile. it never picks a fight and has always stayed in the back of the flock...
    I haven't seen any spurs starting on this one.
    [​IMG]
    This is a side view of the one above and one of its siblings. The one in the back is very feisty and picks on the others it has what look like spurs beginning and a visible comb. But for its age I would have thought that it would have a more developed comb and waddle...
    [​IMG]
    The pretty grey one I also suspect might be a roo... what do you think?[​IMG]
    I think I see the beginnings of spurs on this one too... can a female develop spur spots?
    None of these are crowing yet. I have an extremely large rooster that is crowing, will the competition keep the smaller ones from crowing?
    [​IMG]
    This one I am pretty certain is a female. She has always been on the bottom of the pecking order and is very pail in the face with no visible waddle or spur beginning. Do you agree?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I think you have mostly hens. Lets see.....they'd be around 16 weeks old now? All chicks will have spurs bumps.

3. danawhatley90

Jul 23, 2014
    Alabama
    Do you think that even the one with the large comb and waddle is a female?

4. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I think hens, too. The one with the large comb and wattles is getting ready to lay.... Get your nestbox ready!

5. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    This one looks like a pullet to me. She looks like a Dutch bantam.

6. danawhatley90

Jul 23, 2014
    Alabama
    You really think so? [​IMG]
    I was painting the nesting boxes this past weekend, I guess I need to go ahead and put them in the coop! LOL!! I didn't expect them to start until closer to October! YEAH!!
    What should I put as a base in the nesting boxes? Is straw or pine chips better?

7. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'm going to use wood chips.....some people say that straw holds parasites.

8. danawhatley90

Jul 23, 2014
    Alabama
    Can you tell I am new at this? LOL!
    Thank you all so much! This has made my day! [​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them are definitely pullets. And they all appear to be Old English Game Bantams.

10. danawhatley90

Jul 23, 2014
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Do you think this one is a dutch as well? She is the only spotted chicken that I have and looks nothing like her siblings... Can the Old English be spotted?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by