Are these Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gallusfarm, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    What do you think? yep, one is a roo... [​IMG] -he's supposed to be the black copper - she(?) is supposed to be the black.. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    It is possible. What color are the legs? Are they feathered?

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    They look like it to me.

4. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    They look like marans to me too.

5. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    My black copper maran roos all have copper on the neck. I don't see any on yours. Is that common?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  6. NewHen

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    They could be black marans or maybe just too early for the copper to be in for BCMs.

7. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Your probably right. It's been awhile since I have had young ones. I can tell you this I would never have more than a couple of them. They are the meanest things. I don't like the breed but I like the egg color. I got rid of all the males and a fox got my only female. Now I have 8 more in the bator. Better quality eggs than my first ones. They are a cocoa color.

8. NewHen

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Quote:So far, our cockerels are pretty laid back. I still have to find our cockerels homes because of the crowing but my five year old can carry them around...our older set is about 2.5 months and HUGE for their age...bigger than our 4.5 month old large fowl. Oddly, our female BCM is the skittish one....acts more like our very timid australorp. I remember that the copper peeked through one day and than before I knew it they had combs, wattles and copper necks...literally, I think they developed like that within a week....I have a solid black right now that hatched in June and it's blacker in a softer way...not so bright and green feathering...

9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the info. They do have black legs...

10. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Wow, my Marans are the nicest birds I've ever had. They get a little flighty but they calm down after a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by