1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these mite eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nitrostreak, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    So, I was visiting my flock and checking them over for injuries, when I came across something kinda gross...

I was prepared for moulting, but I'm kind of confused as to what is going on here.

[​IMG]

I found these strange, egg-looking things on a majority of my birds. Is this just a by-product of the moulting process, or do my birds have mites (or something worse?)

[​IMG]

Sorry about the picture quality. Doctor Whooster didn't wanna sit still for the picture. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have never dealt with mites, but it looks like an insect egg sac. Since most of your birds have them, I vote mites. There are several treatment options available. Search the site for mite treatment and you'll get lots of info.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    From those photos I just see protein shafts on the base of the feathers, but if you do indeed in person see gross lookin' white sacs and clumps, yes, they're lice eggs.

5. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Illia what about that football shaped cluster just left of center?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think I see a little fuzzy spot but I'm not sure, 'tis why I say to the OP about their own personal view.

7. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Lice?! D: Oh, dear no... Does this mean, since I tend to get cuddly with a couple of my chickens, that I could have picked them up too?

The egg-clumps do look kind of like that picture, but there's none around the base of the feather, just hanging out between them.

Guess it's time to look up treatments [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  8. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:If you look really close, do you see individual eggs in a clump? Also check the vent area.

9. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Yeah, individual eggs are there. I'll have to check their vents next chance I get, it's too dark out now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by