Are these mites on her face?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cgar, Sep 27, 2011.

1. cgar

cgar New Egg

May 12, 2009
    My poor girl has black goop on her face, and has for a few days. I looked closely and don't see the spots moving but have no idea what else this could be. She has a bald-ish spot on her neck that seems to be filling in. We have three hens that roam around the 1/4 acre yard daily. Someone has diarreah but I can't tell who and wonder if is from all the fallen pears they eat. Egg production is down. Ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Please re-post the picture, as it didn't show up on the forum for anyone to see.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The post is a little vague. Is it sticky? Can it be pear juice, mixed with dirt?
    Did you try washing it off?

4. cgar

cgar New Egg

May 12, 2009
    Sorry - new at this. I think I got the image to post. It is sticky, and could certainly be juice mixed with mud but it seems odd that she doesn't clean herself up. I'll try to wash her and let you know how it goes!
    [​IMG]

5. cgar

cgar New Egg

May 12, 2009
    Scrubbed and scrubbed. It is just dirt encrusted in pear juice. Seems like concrete but we'll keep after her and get her back to her beautiful self. Thank you for your help.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yay! something easy this time!
    Thanks for the update.

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    put some petroleum jelly (like vaseline) on it that will help soften it/lift it off her skin.

8. cgar

cgar New Egg

May 12, 2009
    Great idea - thanks again!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Agreed, just in case it is mites, the vaseline will suffocate them. Here's a similar pic, but with mites:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by