Are these MITES or not? (PHOTOS provided)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ADozenGirlz, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    These are pics of my 1 yr old Buff Orpington, Oprah. Several of my 18 birds have this browish looking dusty stuff at the base of their tails, but no place else that I can see. I find no evidence of mites in the coop anywhere and I have removed all the roosts, droppings board & deep-cleaned it, then treated the birds & coop w/ Sevin Dust to no visible improvement in the girls.

Can members with mite knowledge and experience with an infestation tell me whether these are mites or something else please? Thanks!

This hen is molting hard right now (you can see the new feathers emerging):

This is the area at the base of her tail:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the area below her vent:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Those could be mite/lice egg clusters that have or have not hatched. So even if you did have mites/lice and killed them all, the egg shells clustered up on the base of the feathers won't go away till the next moult. you can however try and give one a bath to see if it's just dirt buildup on the feathers on the bum.

3. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    it looks like it could be mites. maybe, but im a newbie so good luck [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:That's interesting. I hadn't considered that the creepy-crawlies wouldn't go away after dying. I guess I had hoped that a good dust bath would take care of business! Hmmm, which hen to victimize with a bath...?

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by