are these mites that will harm my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kari_dawn, Jan 29, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I found these little pale yellow mites under my waterer for the babies I just moved outside today...Im thinking they came in with the fresh straw maybe? The picture really sucks (it was my cell phone), but I just want to know if I should be worried about them...

[​IMG]

They are little tear drop shaped guys with long antena...what do you think? Should I worry?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tough to see them up close and personal in the pic. Here's a link to help you identify what they are. If they are lice/mites, go after them with sevin dust. Lightly sprinkle the straw with the sevin as well even if they arnt lice/mites.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

1 person likes this.
  3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    thanks for the link! That was very informative and helpful!...these guys don't look anything like any of the crawlies in that link though.

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have these guys too. Some are dark, some are light. They live in the weathered bricks I use around the coop and I've found them on other materials as well, but never on the chickens. Have seen them in the shavings I recently bought from TSC.

Bought Sevin spray today to spray down the run and coop just in case - the closest I can figure, they may be red mites, but an up close and personal picture from a microscope sure doesn't help me figure them out. No macroscopic vision here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by