1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmlew99, Jan 16, 2015.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hi everyone- I've been frequenting these forums recently unfortunately (early this December my hen got a respiratory disease, last week my rooster got some frostbite, and now, this). Okay, so two days ago I noticed that one of my hens was missing a lot of feathers from her back... I assumed she was molting, (although she has been laying eggs), or maybe it was from my rooster mounting her (she's his favorite). And then today I had my rooster on my lap looking at his comb when I saw a tiny yellow-white bug thing crawling under his eye. Should I freak out? How should I treat this moving forward?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sounds like it could be lice. Check every ones' head feathers, under wings and wing pits and all around their vents. Use the search bar at the top of page to find pics and treatment options[​IMG]

3. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Okay! Thank you! What should I look for? Bugs? Eggs? Sores?

4. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Look for anything. If it is mites they can attach to the base of feathers or lay eggs in skin. The quickest fix is to use some type of DE for the hens to dustbathe in, or go to tractor supply and buy an anti-pest spray for them. Lice happen, and they aren't super difficult to resolve, but they usually stem from an existential factor within the chicken house. Be sure that you are cleaning the henhouse on a regular basis and that your chickens have fresh soil or sand to dustbathe in. Lice and mites can live in the dusty residuals left in a henhouse, so be sure to use a leaf sucker or something to really remove all particles when cleaning.

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    All of the above. Clean out coop thoroughly use sevin dust all over the coop and cover the chickens with it, making sure it gets down to the skin. (be careful not to get it in their eyes or mouths). wear a dust mask while doing this and repeat the whole process in 7 to 10 days. Good luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Okay, thank you very much! Here' are some pictures

This is my RIR, the only one with feather loss- the back feathers seem to be almost broken
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is her vent- there is some dried poop on her butt feathers, how should I remove it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Any thoughts on the pictures? On closer examination I didn't see anything in any of my chickens, just my RIR with the messy bum and broken back feathers

8. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I still would keep a look out for bugs. You can stick her butt under the faucet with warm water and wash her feathers then blow dry her. the broken feathers on her back look like normal rooster/mating damage.

9. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Alright! I'll wash her tomorrow so she won't freeze overnight, and over the weekend I'll do a very thorough coop cleaning. I'm very new at this, so how often should cleaning happen? Every week I replace the shavings completely, and I remove some poop from the pine shavings each morning. How often should I be scrubbing down the place?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can use scissors to trim back feathers and fluff on their rear ends. Then they will have a clear 'shot' to the ground.
    It's up to you how often you want to clean out the coop. Like you, I clean out poop early each morning. I do a thorough coop clean out once every 3 months; simply changing out shavings and a small broom to sweep up dust/debris for disposal (always wear a mask.) I use an old rag dipped in bleach water to wipe down roosts, then wiped with fresh water. I clean out nests as well. It takes about 20-30 minutes altogether, good to go for another 3 months. One of the important things in chicken keeping is trying to keep everything as dry as possible. I never wash or scrub the inside of a coop. I never use dusting powders inside the coop, UNLESS there's an external parasite issue on any of my birds.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by