Are these Mosquito bites on my silkie roo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Monoyasha, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Monoyasha

Monoyasha New Egg

May 14, 2013
    I noticed a recent change in my Silkie Roo pepper. He has developed these bumps and scab like abrasions on this walnut comb. This roo has a tendency to sit right in the doorway face outside of the coup almost like he is blocking the entrance on purpose and i have a feeling mosquito's are giving him some hefty bites before i come out to lock up the coop at night.
    Is there anything i can do to help the healing or keep the mosquito population down?

here is a close up:
    [​IMG]

I hope its nothing series. non of my hens are showing any injuries but they are smart and stay in the coop.

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, it looks like Fowl Pox. Fowl Pox is a viral disease in chickens that is transmitted by mosquiotoes, flies, and other flying insects. Its especially common in the summer and fall. There is no treatment for Fowl Pox, but antibiotics will help prevent any bacterial infections from forming due to the stress of the disease. Give electrolytes and probiotics to help them get over stress, too. Fowl pox goes away on its own, usually in several weeks. Putting iodine or shoe polish on the scabs can help them dry up and go away. It isn't usually dangerous, except when it turns in the wet form. The wet form of Fowl Pox causes lesions and cheesy material in the throat of a bird, and difficulty breathing/eating. If a bird gets Fowl Pox, tube feeding can be necessary to insure that it is getting enough to eat. There is a vaccine available for Fowl Pox, so if it seems like it is prevalent in your area, you might want to vaccinate.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Monoyasha

Monoyasha New Egg

May 14, 2013
    Thank you for the info. did some research and yes it is the dry version of fowlpox i can now see it spreading to my hens. I started giving them probiotics and electrolytes in the water. i hope since i caught this early that non of my birds will get the virus as bad as some of the horrible pictures I have seen online. This is my first flock of chickens and the first outbreak of any virus or disease i have encountered just very worried for my babies. Will be putting iodine on the wounds later today.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might look inside the beaks of some of the affected chickens if they are very ill. The cheesy yellow patches of wet fowl pox can block the airway. Wet pox needs further treatment.

7. Monoyasha

Monoyasha New Egg

May 14, 2013
    Once i read up on the virus i checked inside the mouths of all my birds showing signs. So far non of them have wetpox only the dry form.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by