1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these Muscovy Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by learycow, Jun 22, 2011.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I bought 6 ducklings that were supposed to be muscovies. Now that they are feathering out, I seem to think they are something else!
    All 6 of them are black with white bibs (I seem to think they are swedish ducks). They don't have the large bean, big tails, or the large oil gland at the base of their tails like my other muscovies. Also, I can't seem to find any muscovies that are all black with white bibs like this!
    Anyone have any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i don't think so. my parents have muscovy's and they don't look like that. however i'm no expert, it may just be because they're young they don't quite look like muscovy's yet

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Looks exactly like my black swedish. Cute ducks! [​IMG]

Edited to fix black. I can't spell lol

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yeah, the black ones look like regular magpie ducks to me. But, those are nice. However, I can definitely see how someone can be disappointed hoping for black muscovies and getting something else.

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:not magpies ...maybe swedes...i wouldn't think they're muscovies either.

6. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    They look like Swedish to me, I had several.

7. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    most def not Muscovy. Looks just like the Black Swedish I've been hatching all summer.

8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Thanks for all of the replies, I was thinking the same thing. More black swedish to add to the flock I guess! I already have 2, so they should blend right in : )

The other ones in the pics are muscovies, though. The weird thing about it was, the woman I bought them from showed me the parents. They were both muscovies, one black and one brown. ???? She must've had swedish ducks too, either that or I was lied to : (

9. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    wont be the first time someone mulled a good lie over on someone. [​IMG] Happens to the best of us for sure

10. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    in the first picture, the one in the back kinda looks like it might be a scove, but I'm not sure. The rest do look like black Swedish though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by