Are these Muscovy Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iowena, Nov 12, 2013.

1. iowena

iowena Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    I am new to ducks and chickens. The ducks pictured were given to me and were a couple of weeks old when they were given to me early in September. The lady who gave them to me said they are Muscovy. They are not getting the red flesh around the eyes and was just wondering if anyone knows when they get this and if these young ducks are really Muscovy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Those are not Muscovys. I would say one Rouen and the white one is Peking. How old are they? They look like females to me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. iowena

Oct 25, 2013
    @ duckobsessed I think they were hatched in mid to early Sept. We got them on Sept 29th. So they would be around 2 months old. I have 2 of the ones that you think are Rouen. I sure hope they are not Mules. We really wanted Duck Eggs!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  4. DUCKOBSESSED

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Ok, I would still say female. Those are good breeds I have them and love them.

5. iowena

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks for the information. I am a little upset that the person I got them from took advantage of a newbie! I am just glad they were free! She also lied to me about the breed of some of the chickens we got from her. Lesson learned.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Pekins lay a nice egg and so do Rouens both very nice breed of ducks and neither one mules. [​IMG]

7. DUCKOBSESSED

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    It is to bad that she lies about what birds she sells. I would hope she will not do this again in the future. I also agree they are not mules. They look just like my girls.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They are cute and nice breed regardless, but it's understandable to be upset, you were not sold what you thought and that is not right.

9. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Nope, not muscovy.
    I agree and say you have 1 pekin and 1 rouen.
    As for gender, the curly sex feather on males won't show up until about 3 months. The easiest way would be to voice sex them. When they quack, the females will be loud and males will be quiet and raspy.

But they do not look to be mule ducks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by