1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these nesting boxes BIG enough for my Orpington's and Australorps?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fshinggrl, Sep 3, 2014.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have the kitty litter tubs in my newly renovated ice house as nesting boxes and am growing a bit concerned that they are too small. They are tall side up. Here is the best photo I can give you. What do you think for those who have used these before? My chickens are 19 weeks old so not laying yet.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Looks fine:)

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Personally, I think not, tho many people do use them successfully.

I tried using 5 gallon buckets which are about the same size. A chicken will fit in them nicely but it's a tight fit to have room to walk into and turn around comfortably without bending their tail in half, which they seem reluctant to do....my pullets just kept backing right out of them and when offered an alternative took it and never looked back. I made my nests out of wood, 14" wide x 14-16" deep x 16" tall with a 10" diameter opening.

1 person likes this.
  4. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to agree with aart, I would use something a little bigger. I made my nest box a communal one and they seem to like that better. It is about 3 feet wide by 12 inches deep and I put curtains in the front.[​IMG]

The first picture is the first version I made. Then I read an article about communal nest boxes and how much they liked them so I took out the dividers and put curtains on the front.[​IMG]
    This is the same nest box and my broody had enough room to hatch her eggs and have food and water in it for the chicks. I just put chicken wire over the front so the other chickens cant bother them and then I move them in a couple days.
    Anna White has a great tutorial on how to build simple nest boxes. I built some extras to have around if one of my girls is using the main box. [​IMG]
    The last picture is one of the portable ones we built. I can move it around the coop if I need to.
    Hope this helps
    Marie

1 person likes this.
  5. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I got my first egg in the corner of the henhouse. I'll have to re-evaluate what to do with the nest boxes by next weekend. My suspects are my BA & BO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok, so I rethought out the kitty litter tubs. I pulled them out and made the outside holes bigger. I made it a community nest box. I put hay in it (vs pine shavings on the floor). The hen(s) are still laying on the floor.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture today. My layer is actually IN the nest box.
    [​IMG]

and... (drumroll please) she laid an egg!! [​IMG] (in the nest box!)

7. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. 16 paws

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. 16 paws