Are these old mite eggs? (Pictures)

Cyberous

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Hollister, CA (Nor Cal)
I picked two adoptees (Red Star and RIR)

The RIR has not prouced since I've had her (3 weeks) She has always had a nasty poopy bottom. Her vent is always hyper active so I made up my mind I was going to wash her bottom.

She was very cooperative as I placed her bum in a bucket of water. As I massaged her bum I felt bumps. I flipped her over and found what I though were clumps of poo stuck to her feathers. Upon closer observation the clumps were stuck at the base of about 10 feathers. I don't know if I did the right thing but I plucked each one out. She didn't put up too much of a fuss.

So what are they? Mite eggs? I've never seen her scratch.

I do DE the coop all the time, so my thought is she might of had mites at one time?

Thanks in advance!

Don

27573_mites2.jpg

27573_mites1.jpg

That is very strange looking! I dont know what it is, but I think it would be interesting to find out. Hope everything goes well with the hen.
smile.png

sickbyc.gif
I do hope someone has an answer for you. Another learning experience. I hope it is not serious. You may want to check the other birds and see if they have it too. Good luck!

I'm thinking they are mites or lice. One clumps at the base of the feather and one spreads out along the stalk; I forget which is which. And I don't know whether it is the critter or the eggs that clump. Same treatment anyway.

I think it must be lice, thanks for the link!

I'm going to inspect everyone tomorrow.

And I too
sickbyc.gif
,.. had to go take a shower after doing that... (I'm such a wuss)

Thanks again everyone!

Don

Back
Top Bottom