Are these or are these not Americana/Auroracana???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by imadork, Aug 15, 2013.

1. imadork

imadork New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Fremont, Ohio
    When these were ordered form the hatchery they were to be Americana females and when we received them they were marked on the paper as Americana/Auroracana Female. We also got 2 male Silver Laced Wyndottes in the same batch and it is proving very hard to tell them apart. Can someone help??? I took lots of pics today...These are pics of 3 of the chicks. 2 are the supposed female Americana/Auroracana and 1 is a male Silver Laced. Please help me figure this out :( I;m afraid they sent the wrong pullets...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apparently your chicks are all silver laced wyandottes. Also Ameraucanas and Araucanas are two different breeds, the Araucana has ear tufts and no tail while the Ameraucana has muffs and beards all together they have a full tail and only lay eggs that are blue. Another breed that people get confused of is the Easter Egger, a mutt breed of chicken that has the blue egg gene but with undesirable traits they lay eggs from olive to blue and legs can vary from pinkish, yellow, and slate colored ( depending on the crossings).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Well, hatchery Americanas are really mixed breeds and vary widely in appearance. I had one that did look like a silver laced bird. There's also no guarantee they will lay blue eggs too - could be brown, pink, etc.

Now onto your birds, I do see at least 2 silver laced Wyandotte cockerels. I assume there are multiple pictures of some of them? How many pullets did you order?

4. imadork

imadork New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Fremont, Ohio
    In total there should be 2 pullets and 1 cockerel in these pics. let me see if i can figure out one of each of them..The first two have lines on there eyes still as where the other 2 do not.I don't mind if the eggs are different colors. My son wants to show them and I feel a little "cheated" by not being informed correctly by the hatchery.

Guessing female ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Female??

[​IMG]This one looks just like my other (what i believe to be) male SL
    Here is also a pic of the other male as well to show you the similarity between these two.

[​IMG]

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, those are silver laced Wyandottes. And I do believe your guesses on gender are correct, but a picture of the bottom one without the glare of the sun would help. [​IMG]

And, [​IMG]

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    they are not ameraucanas or araucanas. I agree with silkiesforever I think they are SLWs

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    No hatchery except Meyer, that I know of, sells actual Ameraucana birds, no matter what they say on the website. And it's always a clue when they are marked "Ameraucana/Araucana," since Ameraucanas and Araucanas are different breeds and look very different from one another, so a bird can't be both at the same time. "Americana" birds (look at the spelling) are the same as Easter Eggers.

Many hatcheries selling their EEs as Ameraucanas or Americanas, etc. will put a disclaimer on the descriptions saying something like "not for show." I know Murray McMurray, for one, does this.

That being said, I think I agree with everyone else that these are all Wyandottes. Not an EE or Ameraucana or Araucana in the bunch.

1 person likes this.
  8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    my pet chicken sell actual ameraucanas too.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see all silver laced wyandottes. Send the pics to MM and let them make it right for you.

just fyi--that pink text color is really hard for some of us to read. Not saying I'm old or my eyes are bad, mind you [​IMG]

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Oh, cool. Thanks for the info. I like to keep up on which hatcheries are "doing it right" and distinguishing between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and EEs.
    I'm with donrae. Tell the hatchery, they'll at the very least refund your money and you'll get to keep the chick. And I can't read the pink text, either... donrae, you and I can be old together. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by