Are these Pilgrims or Tolouse?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by birdbrain5, Nov 4, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I have the opportunity to get a few geese. I have never had them before, but I do have some ducks, chickens and guineas that all free range during the day and have thier own coops at night. Im wondering if geese will be able to free range the farm with the other birds, or will they fight with the ducks or try to mate with the ducks? I have more drakes than females but they all get along fine but I dont want to have any fighting... Also, when getting geese settled into thier new home, how long should they stay locked up until they know where home is? All of my birds dont stray far, and I havent had any trouble with them leaving. Just curious is geese are hard to keep around like guineas can sometimes be?

Are these Pilgrim geese or Tolouse geese?
    [​IMG]

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    The large bird at the front looks like a Toulouse but I see another with a white face which suggests some mixing with a dilution gene so I cant be sure. Pilgrims are significantly smaller than Toulouse usually. Have you any other pics or information?

Pete [​IMG]

3. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    If they're under a year old, many female pilgrims don't have the white coloration in their faces yet. They look like they are toulouse except for the middle one with the white head...which has an overabundance of white for pilgrims. They could be mixed. Check out if the males are almost all white, that will help you determine if the flock has pilgrims at all. If there are males that look like these three, the flock has toulouse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by