Are these Plymouth Rock chickens Pure breed and confirm Gender Please?

Billy Mahone

Songster
Oct 15, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi,
I was told by the seller that these were suppose to be pure breed, however i suspect they aren't?
Can you guys please confirm? Thank you

20210116_184314(0).jpg
20210116_184343.jpg
20210116_184411.jpg
20210116_184611.jpg
20210116_184621.jpg
20210120_174928.jpg
20210120_174937.jpg
20210120_174953.jpg
20210110_155248.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a Plymouth Rock expert by any means, but what makes you think they might not be?

One of my friends came over and he told me that he did not think their pure breed.... He is also not an expert, however has been dealing with chickens for a few years.
i thought best to ask the experts on here for some assistance

One of my friends came over and he told me that he did not think their pure breed.... He is also not an expert, however has been dealing with chickens for a few years.

Did he say what traits don't look right? Or what breed he thought they might be? :)

Where did you get them from?

Gender: I see a male, a female, and I think a second female.

The male's color doesn't look quite right to me-- Barred Rock males usually have more white on them than the females do (because of how the barring gene works), but this fellow doesn't.

Plymouth Rocks (Barred variety or other colors) are supposed to have single combs, yellow skin, clean legs, no crest, no muff/beard-- yours appear correct on all of those points.

I can work through a list of traits and check them, but I cannot tell a good Barred Rock from a poor-quality Barred Rock, so hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

You can only go by what the breeder told you. Did they mention these birds coming from a certain line?
Have your friend clarify why he doesn't think these are Barred Rocks.

From what I can see in the photos, they look like Barred Plymouth Rocks to me. Non-Hatchery.

1 male, 2 females. I too would find it useful to know why your friend thought they were not purebred, I'd definitely go by the breeders opinion at this point.

Back
Top Bottom