1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickNanny13, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lavender Orpington was a single hatch, used a mirror, stuffed toy & feather duster until I found company (Silkie). They were hatched about a day apart, making 4 wks this Thursday. Like everyone else with chicks wondering what I have, hoping they both are pullets. I've done the "turn on back & watch if they extend legs or draw up", they draw their legs up (pullets, yippee). At 3 days tried "feather sexing", will admit not sure what I was doing but both looked like the primary feathers were longer than the coverts (pullets, wishful thinking).
    The Lavender has a comb & waddle but it's yellow, not pink or red, tail feathers & back are feathering, it's more timid but will come to me (mealworm training)....Pullet or Cockerel?
    The Silkie's really sweet, loves to cuddle & be handled. Wing feathers are out, the back is starting but nothing on the tail yet. I've felt for a comb but it's smooth and don't see anything. It's "bolder" will come right up to me, never had a Silkie so this is all new for me. Pullet of Cockerel?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your Lavender Orpington appears to be a cockerel; that is a lot redness/growth of the comb for a pullet of that age. He also shows little tail development and a more gangly stance, which is typical of a cockerel. Your Silkie is really too young to tell his gender, as Silkies are notorious for being difficult to sex, especially before they are fully feathered.

Still, I wouldn't assume anything yet. I'd post more photos in a few weeks, and then we'll see.

3. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes the lavender Orpington is most likely a roo but don’t worry too much! At that age he could still turn into a pullet.The only 100% way to tell the difference between a pullet and a rooster is too hear them crow or lay an egg.Oh and another fairly accurate way to tell the sex of a silkie is too see if the have “streamers” coming out of the back of their crest.That means it is a roo. But the streamers only start to develop when they are around 4-6 months!So you will still have to wait a while.I would like to help you more if you need it so if you want you could post more pics when they are a bit older.(maybe 2-3 weeks?) Good luck and I hope I helped! :)

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Time will tell, although the waiting sure stinks lol

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thanks for all your input, I was thinking the Orpington a cockerel, can't have no Roos here but still hoping. The waiting game is frustrating, getting attached to both. Will post more pictures of the Orpington in a couple of weeks, the Silkie's really slow in developing which I've been told, he/she's so sweet. Thanks again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by