Are these pure buff orpinton

Merry5

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2016
We bought 16 chickens (straight run, mixed breeds, brown egg layers) that were hatched June 6. One we thought was an buff orpinton has yellow legs the other 3 have a pinkish white. All have a tinge of black in their tail. Could they have some other variety mixed in with them? Why are they not crowing yet? The Silver Wyandott are but the buff and Golden Wyandott are not.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sort of confused on what your asking....also pictures are always helpful.

welcome-byc.gif

Where did your birds come from?

Pics are always good. My first thought on the yellow legged buff bird is a buff Rock, but not all hatcheries carry those.

Yellow legs would disqualify as a Orpington. Many Buff Orpingtons do have a tiny bit of black in their tails, it shouldn't be bred for though.

Sorry my question is confusing. I guess I'm asking 2 questions. Question one is: are these thoroughbred buff orpington chickens since there is a bit of black on the tail and the one has yellow legs. We got them at a local hatchery and were going to try to hatch our own next spring. However, since all the buffs appear to be roosters I guess we won't be hatching any next spring.
Second question is why are the buffs not crowing. I'm almost positive they are roosters based on their size and the saddle feathers.

Sorry my question is confusing. I guess I'm asking 2 questions. Question one is: are these thoroughbred buff orpington chickens since there is a bit of black on the tail and the one has yellow legs. We got them at a local hatchery and were going to try to hatch our own next spring. However, since all the buffs appear to be roosters I guess we won't be hatching any next spring.
Second question is why are the buffs not crowing. I'm almost positive they are roosters based on their size and the saddle feathers.
thanks for clearing up my foggy brain :), yes the three birds in the picture look like cockerels. One does appear to be a Buff Rock like the other members said it most likely was, the other two look like BOs. BOs are slow to mature so you may not have crowing right away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom