Are these pure JG's??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MommaOrp, Jun 7, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    here is goliath:
    [​IMG]
    And here is Jersey:
    [​IMG]

They were eggs i incubated purchased from a breeder claiming to be pure, i know there not fast growers and i think the feet look a bit yellowish, they approx 9 months.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Yellow feet is gaint pink are austurlorpes. [​IMG]

3. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    do toenails make any difference? they have yellow toenails lol

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I don't know, but if you look at the bottoms of their feet you will either see yellow or pink. If they are yellow then they are Jersey Giants. [​IMG]

5. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Jersey Giants will have yellow on the bottoms of their feet (although some pure, but not desired, jerseys will have pink on the bottoms. NOT gray or tan, but a definate pink tinge). Also, pure Jerseys will have yellow skin when you look closely with the feathers pulled back. They should lay tan to brown eggs- no white or red or pink eggs (that I have heard of anyways).

Your pictures look to be pure, but without seeing the feet or skin, they could be jerseys crossed with any other large breed. Most likely they are pure if you got them from a breeder (especially a BYC breeder! [​IMG] )- breeders want to maintain a good name and have no reason to lie. You could ask for pictures of their stock and compare them to your birds, but yours wont be exact replicas, theirs are kinda a baseline idea of how yours could look as adults.

Check out the Jersey Giant Thread- it has tons of info and pictures.

had to edit- Looking again at your rooster (the first pic) I am slightly concerned with his facial features. They look ,maybe, a bit off, at least compared to mine. How old are yours? Could just be the strain available to you where you live? His beak looks short and his comb seems to be coming down his beak too far, but that could just be the angle of the picture. Could be he is younger than mine and so he looks a bit small to me.

Still good looking chickens though!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Thank you so much, they are both approx 9 months, i have just been and checked their feet, they appear yellow to me. I'm more concerned with growth rate, i had envisaged somewhat bigger sizes (my roo is the same size as my 9 month old black orp roo minus the fluff) the skin also appears to have a yellow tone to it but like you quite rightly commented, his facial features could be a giveaway. I have never kept JG's before and have not had much association with them so i have no comparison. The egg colour you described is correct, her eggs are a light tan colour at present. I really hope they are pure as i have heard that here in England, pure JG's are hard to come by.

7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    She looks an awful lot like my 8 month old JG. And the bottoms of her feet are yellow. You can't tell from this photo but there's no tearing her away from her flat of wheat grass.

[​IMG]

8. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    [​IMG] wow she's gorgeous, i wish mine were as pretty!

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Why thank you. She's my alpha hen and kind of bossy. Very chatty when I come to visit. Loves to inspect my hands for treats but does NOT want to be touched. If I try to pet her, she's very verbal about not wanted to be touched. And we call her our vegetarian. She loves anything vegetarian, wheat grass, parsley, banana, strawberry, etc.

My only complaint is if another hen is in "HER" nest box, she'll just go in and sit on top of them. She's kind of a bully and likes to throw her weight around. We're toyed with renaming her Mrs. Bossy Pants. Her real name is Coco.

10. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Thats quite strange you say that, that is exactly what jersey is like, she just jumps right on the others if there in her spot and she too is incredibly verbal! she follows me everywhere when i'm pottering about, waiting for the next treat!! we call her shadow sometimes as this seems to be her main trait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by