are these really araucanas?

kathleeng

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
I have two supposed-to-be araucanas. They look like a's, and I think they have started laying (they are in a coop with two other chickens of same age but different breeds, and I am getting 4-5 eggs per day, all cream to tan) but I see no blue or green eggs. Are they not araucanas? Do the eggs become green/blue when the hens are a bit older? is there something missing from the diet?

I have two supposed-to-be araucanas. They look like a's, and I think they have started laying (they are in a coop with two other chickens of same age but different breeds, and I am getting 4-5 eggs per day, all cream to tan) but I see no blue or green eggs. Are they not araucanas? Do the eggs become green/blue when the hens are a bit older? is there something missing from the diet?

Hi and welcome. If you have four birds total and are getting 4 eggs a day with none being blue, you do not have Araucanas - however, there is no picture in your post and it seems you might have meant to include one. If you post a picture we can help determine what type of birds you have. Knowing your location (country) is also helpful.

x2 on what was stated above. Eggs don't change color from brown to blue, they can darken or lighten a little in shade, but a blue egg is a blue egg and a brown will always be brown. Araucanas in the USA are tail-less and can be clean faced or have tufts (not to be confused with muffs/ beard which ameraucanas and some easter eggers have).

I wil attach a photo later today, but they have the coloring and the small comb on the head, they have the no butt aspect; clever, nice disposition, friendly to people. What other breed might they be?

Hi and welcome. If you have four birds total and are getting 4 eggs a day with none being blue, you do not have Araucanas - however, there is no picture in your post and it seems you might have meant to include one. If you post a picture we can help determine what type of birds you have. Knowing your location (country) is also helpful.
x3

I agree with the other posters. If you're not getting any blue eggs and all your birds are laying, you don't have Araucanas. They may be Easter Eggers (often sold by hatcheries as Araucanas), which sometimes don't lay green or blue eggs.

thanks to all of you for your responses. I took a photo of the "not araucanas" this morning, and in doing so realized that they do in fact have tails; they also do have the tufts, small combs, nice nature, and apparently lay cream shelled eggs. Any thoughts on what they might be? I will post the photos later today.

thanks to all of you for your responses. I took a photo of the "not araucanas" this morning, and in doing so realized that they do in fact have tails; they also do have the tufts, small combs, nice nature, and apparently lay cream shelled eggs. Any thoughts on what they might be? I will post the photos later today.

Are the legs clean or feathered? There are few breeds and/or mixes that they "could" be depending on their overall appearance, coloring, etc.

ETA - look forward to seeing the picture.

Last edited:
their legs are clean

Back
Top Bottom