Are these really barred rock chicks?

They're Australorp chicks. It's very common for them to have white in the wings in the juvenile plumage, it molts out as they grow adult feathers.

Barred Rock chicks would have a white head spot and the wings would have bars of white, not solid white feathers.

My 3 week old BA has white at the tips of her wings and has since she began feathering. I've been told this is normal and they will be lost at first molt.

Ironically, she was also bought due to a mislabel - I was told she was a BR and I was too uneducated at that point to know better.

Yes, my BA had white on the wings too. She lost the white as she got her adult feathers.

I went back to the place I got mine and they gave me a BR chick for free. They also said I could bring the Australorp back but my kids would kill me.

Both Black Sexlinks and Australorps can feather in with white wing feathers at first. It's pretty normal. Those white feathers will molt out at about 8 weeks old. A few look a bit too dark for Australorps, and could still be Black Sexlinks.

If you don't want them, let the hen brood them until they're "weaned", around 6 weeks or so. Then go ahead and sell them as coop ready (no heat lamp needed) chicks. Lots of folks like chicks they don't have to brood.

Then use the money you get from selling them to buy more chicks
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom