Are these really Black Australorps?

C2theJ2theSMIT

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Northern California
I bought five pullets from the feed store, my receipt confirms three are Rhode Island Reds and two are Black Australorps. Being new to chickens, I am hoping someone can help me with this. They are five weeks old now and I'm noticing two very strange things:

1. The Black Australorps do not look like the pictures of four week old Australorps on the Internet. Mine have white speckles on their wings, and
2. The Rhode Island Reds are at least twice as big as the Black Australorps already. I do have a cockerel, which is bigger than the hens, so the picture shows a hen with the Black Australorp.

From these pictures, can you tell me if the black chic is indeed a Black Australorps? Can you tell if she is a bantam? Also, if the ladies are not what I thought I purchased, is it good chicken owner etiquette to take them to the feed store and ask for the correct bird? I've grown attached to these already and don't want to let them go. But I also had good egg producers in mind when I bought them. Thank you all so much!

The black and white one is a barred rock the red one is a RIR it might be a golden sex link you will have good egg production from both

welcome-byc.gif

Your black chicks are barred Rocks, and everyone looks female at this point.

Your red birds do look like hatchery Rhode Island Reds.

Your Rocks aren't bantams, they're just a little smaller. It's common for chicks in feed stores to be different ages, so your Rocks might be a week younger than your Reds. Not a problem at all, they'll even out as they grow.

The feed store won't as a rule take chicks back, so don't bother. If it's a local type place, you could call them and let them know, maybe the'll refund you some $. If it's a larger place like TSC, I wouldn't even bother to do that.

I think you'll be very happy with your Rocks. They're one of my favorite birds, and the backbone of my mixed breed flock. They're friendly, great layers, and not so huge they eat more than they're worth. Their rate of lay is pretty much the same with hatchery birds, so it's not like you're going to be losing out on eggs.

Plus, as a bonus--next spring, if you're wanting chicks, if you have your Red rooster cover your barred Rock hens, you'll get sex link chicks! You'll be able to tell males from females the day they hatch--that's handy. Course, you still have to figure out what to DO with those males.....

That is great news and excellent information about breeding the roo.

My only chicken-rearing friend here in town has a few barred rocks. I've always thought they were beautiful and secretly wished I'd have brought home a couple from the feed store, too. (I'm giving her my rooster, actually.) Well guess what?? Now, I'm tickled to death that what I thought was a mistake at the feed store actually turned out to be even more of a wonderful surprise! :D

You all have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

That is great news and excellent information about breeding the roo.

My only chicken-rearing friend here in town has a few barred rocks. I've always thought they were beautiful and secretly wished I'd have brought home a couple from the feed store, too. (I'm giving her my rooster, actually.) Well guess what?? Now, I'm tickled to death that what I thought was a mistake at the feed store actually turned out to be even more of a wonderful surprise!
big_smile.png

You all have a wonderful rest of your weekend!
You too!
wink.png

Yay c2 I am sooo glad that you have the barred rocks they are beautiful!
And right on about the sex link thats soo cool now I have more research to do ! Bert will be joining our fam and he will have his choice of rocks BO and EE ! I am very excited to have chicks :)

Back
Top Bottom