Are these really French Black Copper Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SuttonHeritageFarm, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SuttonHeritageFarm

SuttonHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Jackson Springs, NC
    I am looking to purchase this breeding group, but want to make sure they are really French Black Copper Marans before I make a cash offer. I also have no idea how much to offer for them.

This is the group according to the email:
    First pic is what the 3 hens look like, second is the rooster, and third pic is of the young, 3 roosters and a hen. These are French Black Copper Marans

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help. I am new to Marans.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    no the fbcm have feathered shanks and I don't see feathering on their legs. What color are the eggs? No matter the breeding, if they don't lay dark eggs they are not marans at all.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  3. SuttonHeritageFarm

SuttonHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Jackson Springs, NC
    I have not purchased them yet so I am not sure. It would indeed be easier to tell if I knew what color eggs they were laying.

4. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
  5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think so as the Roosters' legs are different colours in the two pictures... but I could be wrong as I am new to FBCM myself.

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    They roo does look like a well from what I can tell, althoughI always think that when I don't see feathered shanks.

They aren't FRENCH BCMs though. The hens for sure are BCM but without the feathered shanks, ya gotta drop the F.

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Are the girls..rumpless? Or is it the camera angle playing tricks? They sure don't look like they have normal behinds, though.

8. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
  9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OK I snatched up a roo and looked at his legs. Boy is he upset with me. hehe

They ARE BCMs, but they are not French BCMs, just smooth legged. I've never had one hatch out clean legged, but did have a clean shanked pair of Wheatens, so yeah, I should have thought about that and lefy Harley alone tonight. oops......They had the same leg coloring.

If you are set on FBCMs there are lots of breeders on this forum and lots of eggs in the auction section. Remember if you feed them, the breeder quality birds eat the exact amount that the non breeder birds eat. Spend the money to feed birds you'll be most happy with.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    WOW I missed that but you're right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by