Are these really pink?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fshinggrl, Sep 23, 2009.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok, I had a suspicion that I was getting a pink egg but I wasn't sure because it looks like just a shade of brown. I found 3 eggs in thet nest box today and two looked pink & one was brown. Take a peek. Am I really that lucky? (eta: I know about the light green. Can you spot the two double yolkers in there too? )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Two of them look pretty pink to me...

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

If there are 3 white eggs in that pic... I think the color might be a bit asscue. If those 3 eggs are gray/tanish then I'd say Pink for sure! Either way pretty color selection there.

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I've got a pink egg layer too! They are beautiful!!! [​IMG]

5. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

I might be mistaken, but I think the fact is there are only 2 color eggs: white and blue. Brown and white eggshells are both white on the inside. Pink, green and blue eggshells are all blue on the inside.

If your pinks are blue inside, that would be a true pink egg. If they are white, that's a pink-looking brown egg.

Please correct me if this is wrong. I heard it from an old farmer last week.

6. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    Just curious, what kind of chickens do you have? I got a few eggs this week that looked to be pink in color. Looking at them closely they looked to be white with tiny light brown dots covering them which gives it the look of the pink color. When I washed them they looked brown but when dried take on the pink color again. I have no idea which one of my chickens is laying those ones. Mine just started laying so it's been a guessing game for me.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have Easter Eggers & Silver Laced Wyandottes.

I never looked on the inside.. I'll have to crack one 'pink' one open to see!

8. Mrs.ChickChick

Mrs.ChickChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    North central Illinois
    Those look pink to me! I'm anxious for you to crack one open and see what the inside egg shell looks like! [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Lovely eggs...all of them...not just the pink ones [​IMG] And if they LOOK pink, who cares what they are technically considered???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by