Are these red legs normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RangeChicks, Dec 20, 2014.

1. RangeChicks

RangeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    This roo has had red legs since the day we picked him up. We are not sure if it is normal or not. We have tried treating with vaseline for scaly leg mites and there was no change. We tried neosporin and again no change. He doesn't bother them. The leg scales are not thickened or changing. Any suggestions? We are ready to merge him into our flock of girls, but want to be sure this isn't a problem. Thoughts please?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Red legs as he has between toes and here and there is usually a sign of good health and vitality in roosters. Hens may also exhibit this trait with certain colored legs when they are fertile. I would check the bottoms of his foot pads for any dark spot that could be bumblefoot. He has some massive legs and feet--is he a cornish? I guess cornish roosters don't have feathered feet?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. RangeChicks

Apr 28, 2014

4. RangeChicks

Apr 28, 2014
    Thank you for the information. gotta laugh, though. We are definitely still learning. He is a Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by