are these RIR pullets???Please help (PICS)

bungaree chickens

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
corvallis, Or.
I bought these from a local hatchery as Rhode Island reds, but they don't look like any that I have seen. I thought they would get darker, but they aren't..what do you think they are? They are 7 weeks. They are supposed to be pullets, I am a little worried that they aren't that either. The hatchery did not give me the idea they knew what they were doing....that is why I leave it to the experts:you
smile.png

let me know if I need to put better pictures up!!

DSCI0001-3.jpg

DSCI0004-4.jpg

DSCI0002-3.jpg

this is a baby pic, in case it helps:

DSCI0055-2.jpg

Last edited:
I may not be much help but they dont look like RIR to me (at least not like mine).Sorry I do like the color though. Mabey they are a sexlink?? I hope someone else can help you out

I think sex links are darker too...but maybe that is right.
I was wondering if they are Buff Orpingtons?? (not sure on the spelling of that) They are even lighter than the pictures show.

I don't think they're buff orpingtons. My orps feathered out pure buff when they were tiny, none of the multi-colored wing feathers. What about buff rocks? Anyone know? The birds definitely look buff, not red.

:/Hi I have some RIR's in the grow off yard. I show these birds when they are older and always WOW them. Yours dont appear like they are RIR's to me...I will send pictures to you or rather a link to look at on photobucket in the am. Johnny

Not Buff Rocks with baby wings like that. I have two New Hampshires that are that coppery orangey red, but as babies, their wings didn't have that RIR coloring. In the following pic, the two yellow chicks on the ground outside are NHs. Then older. Yours at seven weeks look like cockerels to me.
DCP_0005.jpg

DCP_0422.jpg

These are Rhode Island Red pullets:
DCP_0566.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some Buff Orp. that I took last week for a friend to sell.
Jul08chickenstosaleBob010.jpg

and here are some three week old RIR's only the red/brown ones.
Jul08chickenstosaleBob001.jpg

I hope this helps they came from Idea hatchery. Johnny

Back
Top Bottom