Are these RIRs? rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allisonpa, Oct 15, 2011.

1. allisonpa

allisonpa New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    i have two chicks that i thought where RIR Roosters, but since i found this website (a week ago) iam questioning that. Iam also guessing there 4 to 5 months old. I just started my flock in June and am loving every minute about having chickens. Here are three pictures of the 2 . Posie is the first one and Dexter the second one and the third picture is of both of them.. The reason i have bands on them is because they were my first chickens that i got and had thought they where roosters. So what do you think are they roosters and RIRs? Thank you so much for your help!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are not the darkest RIR I've ever seen, more on the "production red" side of things. The age looks more 16 weeks, not 5 months or 21 weeks. At 21 weeks, the comb and wattles are quite pronounced and some pullets even have begun lay. Did the seller call them roos?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    They do look like Rhode Island Reds...I think they're both hens, at that age.

4. SirFarmAlot

SirFarmAlot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    2 RIR hens I'd say:)

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Could they be " production reds" like Ideal Hatchery sells? They do look like hens to me, about 16-18 weeks of age.

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Probably Production Reds, and both pullets.

7. allisonpa

allisonpa New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    we actually got these 2 at a local livestock auction so we didnt get to talk to the seller. What do you mean Production Reds? and also Ideal hatchery sells? Thanks again everyone for your help!!!

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I have a production red, looks just like them girls. Funniest girl in the group.

9. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    hens. mighty pale looking. either need more vit. D or need to be wormed.

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by