Are these RIR's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ladyj02, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ladyj02

ladyj02 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas
    I got these "girls" from TSC a week ago. I was told they are RIR pullets. Also, I forgot to ask how old they were when we got them, so can anyone take a stab at how old they might be? [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Probably Production Reds. Most hatcheries (where feed stores source their chicks) don't really have Rhode Island Reds, but Production Reds, instead. They just label the birds that are a bit darker (not the proper deep, mahogany), Rhode Island Reds; mid-toned birds get labeled Production Reds; and the lighter red birds get labeled New Hampshires. Basically all the same thing, but slightly different shades of red. For true Rhode Island Reds, you need to go to a breeder.

3. Pattycat

Pattycat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2015
    Overgaard, AZ
    They look to be about a week old. Did you ask the TSC when they got them? They would be able to tell you that and you could have a better idea. Chicks are shipped at one day and usually have a 2 to 3 day shipping period. TSC usually keeps their chicks in the back for about 6 hours to make sure that they don't have little ones who are gonna die on the floor. I would call your TSC tomorrow morning and find out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by