1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Are these RIR's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teapot10, Jun 17, 2010.

1. teapot10

teapot10 In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    The man at the feed store said he was pretty sure they were but wasn't sure of the sex...I'm guessing it's too early to tell the sex but I'd at least like to know that they are RIR's for sure. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    Looks like it to me.

3. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Looks like RIR's, but not sure...

And judging by their wings, I say all three females. [​IMG]

4. rhaj

rhaj Songster

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    Quote:?????

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I say it's still too early to tell... but they indeed look like they could be RIR.

6. pkw

pkw Songster

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Yes those are RIRs

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There either R.I. Reds or Production Red but if I had to choose right know I would say Production Reds with them being that light color in the wing..

Quote:Do you care to explain this a little better... I have had R.I. Reds (Reds) for quite some time now and there is no way to sex Reds by there wings...

Chris

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Do you care to explain this a little better... I have had R.I. Reds (Reds) for quite some time now and there is no way to sex Reds by there wings...

Chris

Agreed. I've been raising Reds for 25 years & if there's a way to sex them from their juvenile wing feathering it's escaped me.

9. Yes those are RIR's. And judging by the wing and tail lengths I say they are 2 weeks or 3 weeks old. Within another 3 weeks you will be able to tell if they are Cockerals or Pullets. [​IMG]

10. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    I just feather sexed- Yes, it still works when they are this age. The males just have typically "shorter" wings when they are closed. A female chick's wing will reach all the way to her tail, possibly further behind it. A male's wing will remain to look shorter until he is fully feathered out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by