Are these roos or hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urbanfarmernewb, Aug 6, 2013.

1. urbanfarmernewb

urbanfarmernewb New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    Here I go again...

So I purchased these Barred Rocks for my husband exactly 3 weeks ago. The person who sold them to me said they were needing to thin out their flock and that they got them in February 2013. I told them I wanted hens so that is what I believed I was getting, especially since I did not see any spurs or long tail feathers. Well, that was 3 weeks ago and neither of them have laid an egg. Our Showgirl, that we have had for little over a month, only took a week to adjust before laying an egg, but about a week ago she became what I hope is broody and stopped laying. Not that I want her to be broody I just don't want it to be she is getting picked on or worse.

Anyway, so the Barred Rocks have not laid and the red comb and lobes seem to be growing larger. I do not see any spurs, but then I read that sometimes that is not gender specific. Now I am worried that I have roosters because I just went outside and heard what sounded like a faint crowing sound coming from their area. It was not a sound I had heard them make before, and since I was not over there I am not sure which one did it. We are not allowed roosters in the city which is why I am worried. So if anyone can give me some input on what the sex of these two birds might be I do so appreciate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    I think those are hens that are getting to the point of lay. 5-6 months old is the average time to start laying.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Those are actually Dominiques, and the one in front could be a hen, but the one in back looks suspicious. Do you have any better pics of him/her?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2

5. urbanfarmernewb

urbanfarmernewb New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    Oh wow,I can upload some better photos. Thanks!

6. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    X3

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I think they're both female dominiques. (they have a rose comb, not a straight comb like barred rocks would have).

As to the laying - 7 months is high time for them to start but it can be that they need more time to adjust to their new quarters/flock. are they being harassed by any of the other chickens? If they're stressed or being kept away from the water/food, they may not lay.

Trying to remember back but I think my dominiques were about 25-30 weeks before they finally started laying.

8. urbanfarmernewb

urbanfarmernewb New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    I don't think our showgirl is picking on them. She is was smaller and started brooding about a week ago. They always have food and water out. And they seem to like the coop and go up by themselves at night. Here are some better pics one of each of them.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Sideways profile pictures are better because it allows us to see if there are any hackle or saddle feathers. The second pic looks like the coloring is a little lighter (more white) which may indicate a roo. But he should be crowing by now if he was. Maybe it's just how the light falls in the picture.

10. urbanfarmernewb

urbanfarmernewb New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    Yeah unlike our other hen these two don't hold still long enough for photos. Well, one of them is crowing but only in the morning but when I get to the coop the crowing stops so I am not sure who is the culprit. And I surely would feel guilty sending the wrong one to the freezer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by