Are these roosters or hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Georgetownchick, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Georgetownchick

Georgetownchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    I have some Barred rocks that I hatched myself and some Rhode Island Reds that I also hatched and I don't know if they are roosters or hens. They were 15 weeks old yesterday. Can someone tell me what they are?
    [​IMG]

2. Georgetownchick

Oct 29, 2012
    Here is another picture.
    [​IMG]

3. Georgetownchick

Oct 29, 2012
    And one more.
    [​IMG]

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    They're not pure breds, what you call RIR are production reds bred with red sex links- that's why some of them have those white areas on tail and neck. Pure RIR are much redder and never have those white areas, only black. Some of those BR are showing white areas on their pyle zones(neck, back and patch on wing), pure BR never show that but it's very common in crosses. If you are wanting layers, those will be good birds for that.

First pic are all three roos. second pic is a roo. in third pic-the brown ones with black tails(behind door and to the right middle side) and the brown one with blue tail(seems EE?) are pullets, the barred bird sitting down is a roo

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. Georgetownchick

Oct 29, 2012
    Thank you for your reply. I got the eggs from a farm, they told me they probably would not be pure bred but I could not remember what they were crossed with. In the third picture the ones you are calling pullets I bought as pullets from a different breeder. I have ten total. It seems the ones I hatched must all be roos. When will they start crowing?

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Ah good those sellers were honest- there have been couple threads on here with birds very clearly not what claimed to be. I'd say the red ones likely are production red crossed with red sex links. If you have RIR or production red pullets, those would be great to use for breeding.

the barred ones are harder.. they do seem BR mixed with something. since the seller had red sex links, the barred ones might be out of black sex links- also a good production bird.

first crowing- they are still pretty immature so it will be several weeks but don't be surprised if one tries to start sooner.

Good luck with those birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by