Are these roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GullibleChick, Aug 13, 2010.

1. GullibleChick

GullibleChick New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    Hi, everyone!

We inherited these RIRs in May. They are now three months old. We have been trying to sex them the entire time, have been examining photos for comparison, etc. Bella is likely Fella. He started crowing a while back--early July. Dark green hackle feathers, very pointed, big comb and wattles. We were certain Cinderella was a girl--a bit squattier, curly neck feathers, not as green. However, within the past week or two there has been a lot more crowing going on--this morning, I watched Cinderella perform the bulk of the crowing. Bella crows too, but not with near the frequency of Cinderella. Am I resigned to be eggless with this pair? The neighbors (we are in a sub and chickens aren't exactly allowed) have been very tolerant and interested in the process and we were planning on rewarding their tolerance with eggs.

Thanks!

Cinderella

[​IMG]

Bella

[​IMG]

Cinderella in front, Bella in back

[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh dear. I am 94% certain you have 2 cockerals. Saddle feathers, tails and stance are talking to me.

3. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG]

You have got two roosters there! The crowing is a give away, but they also have curved tail feathers, and downward pointing saddle feathers.

Don't feel too bad - I had a rooster named Ariel once. [​IMG]

If you're hoping for eggs, though, I'm afraid you'll be eggless. Of course, you could just get a few more...

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:X2 except I would up the certainty to 99% Sorry [​IMG]

5. GullibleChick

GullibleChick New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    My husband now wants to eat them. [​IMG] I would cling to the 1% chance, but... [​IMG] Oh well, maybe the two new buff Orpingtons I bought are girls--although I wasn't very convinced when the lady sexed them with a key on a string.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have to add, they are very handsome and healthy fellas!

7. GullibleChick

GullibleChick New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    They are absolutely spoiled. The are shameless beggars--they steal food out of the kids' hands if we eat outside. The tap on the back door for company--no way could I eat them. Too attached!

8. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:Ha! I love all those idiots who think they can sex chicks with old wives tales!

9. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:Key on a string?! I must admit I've not seen that one. But hey - you've got at least a 50% chance with them! [​IMG]

10. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I am so sorry that you have 2 roos. Fingers crossed for the Buffs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by