Are these Roosters???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by leasmom, Aug 1, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    some better pics and age will help alot. One looks like it could be, but without age it's a little hard to tell.

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    how old are they?

If I see that right they still got some down feathers around the eyes and on the tips of the feathers around the head(at least the one looking straight at the camera does), so that would make them youngsters(like 2-3 months old)? and if they are I would definitly say roosters on all 3! too much comb and wattle to be female.

4. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    They're 11 wks. Because they're cooped, I can't get any better pictures than these until they come up from their run to the top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  5. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    At 11 weeks they have WAY to much wattle and comb for hens. Definately roos, all of them...So Sorry if you were hoping for hens. [​IMG]

6. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    God, I have five and I think they're 5 roosters...I can't believe it was in vain. I mean, we're gonna eat them but I really wanted eggs. I'm gonna order 5 more tomorrow and go pick them up and then have the roosters for meat.

7. ChickenNOOB

ChickenNOOB New Egg

Aug 1, 2008
    we're gonna eat them

*GASPS* EATS IT??? GOLLEM WANTS HIS PRECIOUS, HE WILL KILL THOSE NASTY HOBITTSES AND GET HIS PRECIOUS BACK. HE WILL TEAR OUT THERE BONES AND EAT THEM.. Um, r u still gonna eat them???? Rlly?? U kno your gonna have to cut the head off, pluck it, and eat it knowing a few hrs. ago it was happy.... GOOD LUCK.........​

8. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    I'm not doing that...I'll take them to a processor! I can't even imagine killing them but I'll drop them off to be killed-No Problem!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had some RIR's that started developing their combs and wattles early. I thought they were roosters. The place I bought them said they were females, which I wanted. At nearly 17 weeks I looked in one of the nest boxes and behold I had an egg.

If their combs and wattles keep growing then you probably have roosters, but if they don't and just keep getting more red, then possibly females.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just looked at you pictures again. I wouldn't be heading off to the butcher just yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by