Are these roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by moms Tree, Oct 29, 2013.

1. moms Tree

moms Tree Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    I bought 4 easter egg pullets from a nice young girl in another town 6 weeks ago, when they were 2 weeks old. She assured me they were pullets, as she had purchased them as such from a hatchery. They are 8 weeks old now, and making "I'm trying to crow" sounds. They also have larger, and bumpier combs than the rest of the easter egg chickens. Are these roosters?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Better pics of the ones laying down would help, but I'm pretty confident those are all roosters. Call the seller, have her make it right. One roo I could see, but three is just ridiculous!

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yep. I'm pretty confident they are boys as well.

You can't sex a chick at 2 weeks old period.. Unless they are sex linked... Which EEs aren't at that age.

4. moms Tree

Sep 15, 2013
    Oh... she sold me 4. I think she knew they were roosters, and lied to get them gone. There's no way the seller would make it right... she's not a breeder... she bought them for her uncle, and then posted them in the classifieds.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree with the others, she sold you cockerels. And I'd bet they were not sexed at a hatchery, as hatcheries guarantee 90% success rate on their sexing and will refund money if more than 1 in 10 are sexed wrong.

Even if you don't think she'd make it right, call her up if you still have her number and give her an earful. And give her parents an earful, too.

6. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep. Might make her think twice before doing it again.

7. moms Tree

Sep 15, 2013
    Yep... I gave her an earful (nicely... just told her that wasn't very nice... I drove 2 hours to pick these up). Of course, she denies any knowledge of the fact they were roosters. I need some explanation on the pea combs these have. These 4 birds have 3 ridges of comb, if that makes sense... my hens do not. The ones suspected of being roos have combs that look "fluffy", carnation-like... is that how we tell roos at this age? (Besides the crowing attempts?)

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Those three rows of peas are a normal male pea comb. In fact, it's a way to sex pea-combed chicks when young, since roosters will often have three rows of peas while pullets only have one. Not 100% accurate, but a good way to get an idea of what you have.

9. moms Tree

Sep 15, 2013
    Thank you very much.

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Good eye on the pea combs! Yep, the triple row is usually male, and the single row is female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by