Are these rouens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nick97, Dec 24, 2014.

1. nick97

nick97 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hey guys so im about to buy these ducks to complete my coop and want to know if these are actual mallards. I already have 3 males and 1 female but want to even them out.
    BUT I noticed that these new birds have two black stripes underneath the eyes. And that mallards are supposed to have one. Also looking at the pic they look bigger. Thanks

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

They might be crosses, but they look more like mallards to me.

3. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
  4. nick97

nick97 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    I decided to cancel since they look like rouens but also dont wanna get law trouble.

5. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    You probably also want to more than "even them out." A good ratio is 4-6 ducks / drake. I have 13 ducks total with two drakes. The drakes established pecking order and all is good. The Alpha (Kaine) hits at least 6 (and more likely 11) of the girls every time their pools are filled. The non-Alpha (Tevye) still sneaks in 2-6 girls. Three drakes will probably fight a lot if there are less than 9 ducks and the ducks will be constantly harassed. It might be possible to trade out a couple of the drakes if you want a smaller flock or if you go large there are several places you can get day old ducklings shipped. I had good luck with Metzer, I know they have Mallards, cut their toes and they can vent sex them so you get what you want. But through them it cost me half as much to get 2 ducklings as it did to get 11 (they have a minimum order to discourage small shipments and smaller shipments need a heater pack.) Good luck with whatever you decide.

6. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

A four to six-one ratio is often times overkill. I have a 2-1 and everything is fine and Jim dandy. A lot of times two girls is plenty for one boy. It helps if they have plenty of space and can swim often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by