1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these saddle feathers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JulieNKC, May 17, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I thought this EE was a pullet, but the feathers on her butt are looking more and more like saddle feathers to me. Are they? Is she still a she?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Don't think those are saddles, looks like my EE girl, I believe you've got a pretty girl!

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Looks pullet to me too, she is so big in the picture and fully feathered and her comb is a light color and small.

By that age you would see a larger redder comb i believe..

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Pretty pullet! No rooster would have that coloration of a light brown chest. (Partridge and Black Breasted Red). A rooster would have a black chest.
    For some reason I have noticed some masculine tail feathers in some of my E.E pullets as well.

5. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    She is a very pretty pullet. EE pullets often get "saddle-like" feathers, but the pullet "saddle feathers" have rounded, wider tips, whereas a true "saddle feather" on a roo is pointy and narrow on the tip.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] She is flighty and not very friendly, but is starting to warm up. The big girls teach everyone sooner or later where the treats come from. They've already got my ducks coming up to the front door begging for treats, so hoping they'll teach her and her 2 leghorn buddies to chill out. I love her cheeks, lol. She cracks me up.

7. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I have found that the EE pullets tend to simmer down and get friendlier when they reach point of lay. I love love love EEs! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Ours is our sweetest hen...and looks a lot like yours! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by