Are these saddle feathers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrahmaMom, Sep 12, 2011.

1. BrahmaMom

BrahmaMom Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Okay this newbie needs some help!!!
    This is my chick web page - https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=92834-my-chicks

Since I can't post pictures yet I made a page with my chicks - they are 18 week old Brahmas - huge birds!!! Can you tell me if the circled feathers are saddle feathers & the birds in question are roos? Hopefully my page is clear enough.

Thanks

Lisa

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I agree with all your guesses. You have some roos there. Every time you circled something, it is a roo. Sorry! I have 21 week old light brahmas and they show no where near the development as your birds do.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yes, those are saddle feathers. The first pic can be sexes by color as a dark brahma boy. It looks like you have a couple roosters. I'm sorry.[​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Technically most of what you see aren't saddle feathers (saddle feathers at this stage are just little babies on the very top center of the back) but yes, those are boys except of course for the second dark Brahma shown.

With Dark Brahmas, you don't need to look for saddles though - The color says it. If the bird is black and white, it is a boy. If the bird has little fine penciling of black, gray, and white on its body - It's a girl.

5. BrahmaMom

May 21, 2011
    Bummer!!

So at what age do I need to start culling so my few little hens don't get abused?

Lisa

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Now? [​IMG]

As soon as they start displaying dominant behaviors or trying things with the girls, or crowing, or the sort - I'd get rid of them if I didn't want them.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I got rid of my two roosters (hatched) at about 17 weeks. They were starting to challenge one another and me and I did not want my kids to get in the middle or it or become challenged. I sold mine on craigslist.

8. BrahmaMom

May 21, 2011
    So does 3 hens + 1 roo = abuse for my hens? I really like the personality of the dark brahma roo. Do I bring in full grown hens to fill the need? Everything changed in my flock!!!!!

If I cull the head roo (the white one on the ramp) because I like another roos personality will the lone roo take over & lead the girls to bed at night?

An I gonna change the entire dynamics of the flock?

Lisa

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, and yes. The last roo will take over and your flock will adjust no problem.

10. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    I sorry about all the roo's but if it makes you feel any better all your chickens are beautiful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by