are these safe for chickens? (pics)

hi ive got a bird with a susspected blockage in her gizzard/digestive system. i suspect small chunks of hardwood. she is under the vet. it was sugested to me to use chick grit instead of normal but i cant find any. is this grit ok?its for caged birds. also want to put some sand in their dust bath is this sand ok? also for caged birds.
lastly trying to prevent sour crop returning it was suggested copper suphate but when i ordered this is what came! says 98% copper sulphate. when i questioned company they said theyd contact manufacturer to send one thats safe for chickens but they sent the same thing! now i have two tubs and still not sure if its safe!
thanks in advance for any advice
shell x

i guess no one knows either. think ill steer clear of this copper sulphate then. bit worried it could be mixed with something! im thinking the grit should be ok maybe just to fine to do any good but cant see how it can be harmful. sand i figure should be ok too but any reassurance on either would be good.
thanks

Hey there
smile.png

the grit and the sand will be fine for other birds but i'm not really sure on the copper sulphate foot bath...i would probably agree to avoid it..someone else may have some better advice.
hope you get the blockage sorted out ok!
good luck

lindisfarne- thank you for answering thats great! so ill use grit and sand and ditch the copper sulphate! i just really needed someone to ok the grit and sand!im so paranoid right now! thank you x

The grit with calcium is not recommend for non laying chickens. A course sand will do for chick grit. Putting it in the dust bath mix will give it a double duty.

thank you :) ive put it in now,but mine all lay appart from the sick one. she was laying but stopped when she became ill. will the calcium be safe for her?

A lot depends on how long she goes without laying. It does take a while to damage the kidneys. For a couple of weeks there should be no problem.

Back
Top Bottom