Are these scaly leg mites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HopieGirl4Ever, Nov 28, 2014.

1. HopieGirl4Ever

HopieGirl4Ever The Chook Artist

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    I just noticed that our 1 year old rooster's legs looked strange, and I am wondering if this could be from scaly leg mites? And if it is, is there a way to treat them naturally?
    I hope I posted this in the right forum...[​IMG] Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would think it is. You can dip them in vegetable oil once or twice a week for a few weeks and it should wipe them out.

3. Thechickmama

Thechickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  4. HopieGirl4Ever

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    Thank you! I'll try vinegar first, and if that doesn't help I'll try vegetable oil. [​IMG]

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Yes that is scaly leg mite damage. FYI the dark color is mite feces that has been deposited beneath the scales on the roosters legs.

Petroleum Jelly works well also, you usually only need one or two applications and you don't have to worry with balancing a large jar of Mineral Oil in one hand and keeping a struggling chicken under control with the second hand while you dip the rooster's legs in the Mineral oil with your third hand.

6. HopieGirl4Ever

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    Thank you all for your ideas! I think I'll use petroleum jelly, because it will probably stay on the best, if the idea is to suffocate the mites...

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Vinegar will not kill scaley leg mites.

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Don't forget to rub it well into the toes foot and ankle.

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It is best to soak the legs in a betadine and water solution and use a soft brush to loosen the deposits...towel dry the legs and apply a thick layer of vaseline in an upward motion to where the feathers start on the legs...re-apply every few days..it can take some weeks to eradicate the leg mites...pay attention also to the comb...leg mites can affect the comb of chickens too...valeline on the comb is also beneficial in cold weather to help against frostbite'.

Treat ALL chickens for leg mites in your coop...wear old clothes too..as the vaseline gets everywhere...best to apply at night when the chickens are already in the roost...take each of them out individually to treat and return them once you have completed treatment...

10. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Those are scaly leg mites. We treat with ivermectin horse wormer. A pea sized amount put directly in the mouth repeated monthly as needed. Takes some time for the new scales to grow in so be patient. I would do at least 2 treatments. We have been treating this way for years and has never failed to clear up a case of SLM.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by