Are these scaly mites?(pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rubysmom, May 14, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I noticed my brahma had red on some of her foot feathers. looks like some bleeding feathers maybe?We were thinking picking, but now I'm wondering leg mites?
    Is there a sure fire way to tell? They've only been out in the coop for a 2-3 weeks and I clean the coop and the run twice a day. How and why do they get them?
    I only have 5 chickens and I haven't noticed them picking at each other.

Please help. I'm not really sure what normal chicken legs are supposed to look like? [​IMG]
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    No, it doesn't look like leg mites; they don't usually cause bleeding, just nasty crusting and deformed toenails (although in extreme instances, they can cause tissue death and toe loss). Your birds have nice feet and healthy nails. It's probably a minor injury. It's very good that you're watching out for this though.

Here's a link with some pictures of a leg mite infestation:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ScalyLegMites/ScalyLegMites.html

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Doesn't look like scaly leg mites to me either...Looks like injuries to me too, maybe coming up or down the roosts or run planks if you have those....

4. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Oh Yeah!!! [​IMG] So their feet should be kinda scaly just not crusty?

Do you think the others could be picking at her feet?

It also looks like maybe one of the feathers got pulled out and bled on the others. It does seem that she's missing quite a few foot feathers?

Thank so much [​IMG]

5. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I do have ladder kind of thing that goes up into the coop. It's a board with someshort cross pieces for traction. I sanded everything pretty well. Maybe I should get rid of it?

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Scaly leg mites will cause the scales to lift up and protrude outward.

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

That link was dissssgusting :eek: - but now I know - thanks [​IMG]

8. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    That was gross. Dosen't look like we have that [​IMG]

Why and when do you get mites? Is it something you should try to prevent. Do they all get it?

9. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    They won't all get scaly leg mites (some say wild birds are a vector; other times, it's a new addition to the flock), but if you raise chickens long enough you may run into a case or two. Older birds tend to get them; feather legged breeds are probably more at risk. The ones I've seen personally have all been on feather-legged breeds--although I've seen plenty of pictures of other breeds with the problem. Prevention is basically just keeping your coop clean and your flock well managed and well fed; some use DE in their coops, others thoroughly clean and spray the coop with pesticide a couple times a year. Not a bad idea anyway. If you do get a case, you can use vaseline or oil on the legs, and optionally, Ivermectin orally or topically. It's really not hard to clear up, but it takes time.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  10. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks so much coopist. You are always sooo helpful. My coop is super clean so I think I'll relax a little [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by