Are these seizures?

IttyBittyBirdy

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Michigan
Other questions about this specific duck are on my profile.
It's not diet, it's not botulism.
He's been doing this for awhile.
But the weird thing is he seems to just stop when I walk up or call his name, that's why I'm doubtful it's seizures.
I myself have a history of seizures due to health reasons, and never have I just stopped when my name was called.

I was recommended to go to a real expensive vet, they only take Care credit and another thing if you don't pay right away. They don't take payment plans.
I'm on a fixed income so I can't exactly work more hours and I was denied for Care credit because I have, no surprise, no credit.

My friend who is a duck breeder suggested it was neurological from time in the egg.

what are you feeding?
Mash from a local mill, corn and scratch mix from the same place. All appropriate protein and vitamin levels.
They haven't had any lettuces or left overs in awhile.
Yes, several water pans + two pools in the summer that have been put away because of temp drops & outside water pump being closed off for winter.

That looks like abnormal neuro activity to me! Not a grand mal seizure, but definitely something misfiring in his brain. Like cats that have had panleuk and spin and roll. If he’s otherwise ok, gets around alright, eats and drinks ok, and has been doing it for a long time, I would take the conservative route and just make sure he’s safe if he has any issues when it comes to swimming or falling off of things, and let him lead his ducky life. Sure, if you had unlimited funds, bringing him to a teaching hospital and having some scans done might be nice, but that’s not usually in the realm of possibilities for most of us. :)

That looks like abnormal neuro activity to me! Not a grand mal seizure, but definitely something misfiring in his brain. Like cats that have had panleuk and spin and roll. If he’s otherwise ok, gets around alright, eats and drinks ok, and has been doing it for a long time, I would take the conservative route and just make sure he’s safe if he has any issues when it comes to swimming or falling off of things, and let him lead his ducky life. Sure, if you had unlimited funds, bringing him to a teaching hospital and having some scans done might be nice, but that’s not usually in the realm of possibilities for most of us. :)
I have similar misfirings! Random twitches and shivers, but I guess I never figured a duck could have similar issues?
Given that one of his legs is still wonky due to the splay leg he had as a baby, he moves when he wants to, and quite fast! Especially when he sees me sit down in the grass or there's snacks involved.
He eats and drinks great, he loves his food and duckweed. (Duck quack)

I feel bad, like I should run him to the vet and have every scan possible done. Like I'm a failure of a duck mom for not being able to.

I have similar misfirings! Random twitches and shivers, but I guess I never figured a duck could have similar issues?
Given that one of his legs is still wonky due to the splay leg he had as a baby, he moves when he wants to, and quite fast! Especially when he sees me sit down in the grass or there's snacks involved.
He eats and drinks great, he loves his food and duckweed. (Duck quack)

I feel bad, like I should run him to the vet and have every scan possible done. Like I'm a failure of a duck mom for not being able to.
A lot of things are similar in animals, as they are in people. :) lots of times the drugs used are the same too!
Don’t feel bad at all! Many people wouldn’t have given him a chance in the first place, and it’s great that you’re giving him a great life and letting him do his thing. And really, a lot of the time, tests are run, and still no real answer is found. Probably not much of anything they’d be able to do anyways, so it’s hard to say if diagnostics would be of any help in the first place. :) his quality of life sounds just fine, so unless something changes and he deteriorates, why not keep doing what you’re doing? 👍

Mash from a local mill, corn and scratch mix from the same place. All appropriate protein and vitamin levels.
They haven't had any lettuces or left overs in awhile.
Yes, several water pans + two pools in the summer that have been put away because of temp drops & outside water pump being closed off for winter.
duck or chicken mash? all all flock or duck feed is best, chicken feed doesn’t have the correct nutrients for ducks

A lot of things are similar in animals, as they are in people. :) lots of times the drugs used are the same too!
Don’t feel bad at all! Many people wouldn’t have given him a chance in the first place, and it’s great that you’re giving him a great life and letting him do his thing. And really, a lot of the time, tests are run, and still no real answer is found. Probably not much of anything they’d be able to do anyways, so it’s hard to say if diagnostics would be of any help in the first place. :) his quality of life sounds just fine, so unless something changes and he deteriorates, why not keep doing what you’re doing? 👍
When I first noticed the splay leg the only advice I was given by a family member was to cull him. I went against what they said and kept him splinted up and in the house for nearly a month.

You're probably right about not much to be done, the vet I called quoted me a couple hundred dollars for an x-ray to start with, but if it's like my case, tests won't show much of anything and then I'll have put him through all the stress of vet visits for only a little information.

Back
Top Bottom