Are these sex link chicks!??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenLove6, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    I have six one day old light sussex bantam cross silkie chicks. Somewhere I read that light sussex cross silkies will be sex link chicks. Is this true? And if it is what would the boys or girls look like?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can believe everything you read on the internet. Where did you hear that? On the internet.

That only works if the parents have the right genetics to start with. The very first post in this thread explains that in detail if you want to try to figure it out.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

The Light Sussex is one of the hens that can be used to make red sex links, but that only works if the father is pure for the gold gene, which means he should have some red, and you can see the red or yellow difference in the down. The hen has to have silver. By pure for the gold, I mean he has to have two copies of the gold gene, not one gold and one silver. Silkies are notorious for being crosses with mixed up genetics. But it is possible he could qualify.

With red sex links, the female chicks will have reddish down and males will have yellow. Sometimes that difference is real clear like the pictures Tadkerson put in his post. Sometimes that difference is really subtle. And sometimes it just can’t be seen at all. There are a lot of different genes that affect down color. Even with the gold and silver genes right there are plenty of times you just can’t see the difference in the reddish and yellow.

Looking at that photo of that chick, I don’t know if you can tell a difference in the red or yellow or not. And without knowing that the rooster is pure for gold, I wouldn’t trust it anyway. If he is partly red you are in with a decent chance, but it’s not an absolute certainty.

3. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    Thanks for your reply!
    The father, was cross between a grey silkie and a gold silkie. So I'm not sure if it will still work?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by