Are these Sex Link?

OrangeGrove

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2015
Please comment on this breed. I want to get 30 day old chicks to establish a flock eventually of good egg layers. Can they be sexed? I'm told they are New Hampshire x Golden Buff

Assuming the parentage you gave is correct, the chicks cannot be sexed accurately by color. Golden Buff is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links and while first generation Red Sex Links can be sexed by color, being hybrids RSLs (even breeding two RSLs together) will not breed true and their offspring cannot be sexed by color.

Nope, no sex linkage in those chicks at all. The cross should make decent layers, but you're going to get half males.

Thank you all for your comments. It's hard to get better pics as they aren't in my possession. As long as they're good layers I don't mind ordering extra. I thought Golden Buff was a breed?

Not technically a breed, although the hatchery probably claims it is. golden buffs are themselves a sex link, meaning they're a high production cross where the sex is linked to the color, so the chicks are sexable at hatch. Sex linkage is a one time deal, and you can't use a sex link to make a sex link (unless you want to get into more tricky genetics than this thread is geared for).

Even if these hens were, say, buff Orpingtons, there still would be no sex linkage in the chicks. Red/gold sex links require a gold rooster over a silver hen.

Not technically a breed, although the hatchery probably claims it is. golden buffs are themselves a sex link, meaning they're a high production cross where the sex is linked to the color, so the chicks are sexable at hatch. Sex linkage is a one time deal, and you can't use a sex link to make a sex link (unless you want to get into more tricky genetics than this thread is geared for).

Even if these hens were, say, buff Orpingtons, there still would be no sex linkage in the chicks. Red/gold sex links require a gold rooster over a silver hen.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom