Are these sex-linked???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mrbstephens, May 15, 2010.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatched 4 chicks last week! First hatch ever and 100% hatched! I had posted about what I'd get from my current flock if I hatch their eggs and someone had replied that I'd get some sex-links. This is what I have;

All crossed with a partridge rock rooster:

The first two chicks came from green eggs laid by the same EE hen and look totally different from each other. Wondering if they are sex-linked?:

EE 1:

[​IMG]

EE2:

[​IMG]

This one came from a Light Brahma. Someone had said that if it was gold it would be a girl and if it was silver it would be a boy. This one is definitely gold. Sex-linked?

[​IMG]

And the last was from a RIR. I'm aware that this is not a sex-link, but I'm posting her anyway 'cause she's(?) so cute!

[​IMG]

Hoping for pullets! [​IMG]

2. mrbstephens

[​IMG]

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've never heard of using a partridge rock in making sex-links.

4. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    This is totally a guess, but if the EEs are, I'd say chick number one is the pullet and the number 2 chick is the cockeral. What color is the EE hen?
    And I would think so, that the LB cross would be a female (sex linked) chick. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    No it is not possible to get sexlinks from the EE hens with the PR roo, it is common for EEs to look different from each other.

If the third onw was from the PR roo on the LB hen, then yes, it is a sexlink pullet

And jossanne Partridge Rock roos can be used with hens will be silver genes to make red sexlinks, and with barred/cuckoo hens to make black sexlinks.

6. mrbstephens

here's a pic of the EE hen:

[​IMG]

7. mrbstephens

So, if the LB cross is a pullet then feather sexing doesn't work in this case. I see even length in the wing feathers on this chick.
    With the EE chicks, the dark one also has even length in the wing feathers and the other has uneven. I guess I just won't know for several weeks what I have since I don't know how to vent sex.

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The EEs may possibly be able to be feather sexed as I am noticing differences with mine but the are EE roo on EE hens ( pure EEs lol ) but it isn't a reliable way to sex as my Sussex and several other breeds will have differences in feathering rates and end up being either sex.

9. mrbstephens

So I guess I shouldn't be feather sexing these? I guess I'll just have to wait and see..........[​IMG]

10. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    WOW, she looks a lot like my EE.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by