Are these Sex-linked

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stephanie1992, Nov 9, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Crossed a Partridge Penedesenca roo with a California Grey hen made the black chick. crossed same roo with a Buff Orp cross and got buff chick. any of them sex linked

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Just the Dark chick is sex linked(female) the other one is not a sex linked as both parents are sex linked Gold...

below is how your dark chick should look like if he was a Male..
    [​IMG]

3. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Nicalandia, how did you know that?

4. stephanie1992

Quote:Just the Dark chick is sex linked(female) the other one is not a sex linked as both parents are sex linked Gold...

below is how your dark chick should look like if he was a Male..
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/nicalandia/BarredDb.jpg

i had another chick that had a white spot on its head from the same eggs as the dark chick. but it died a day after it hatched. it also had white feet

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    BaGAWK!! :

Nicalandia, how did you know that?

Cause the california grey hen is barred, and a barred hen under a non barred roo will give sex-linked offspring. I'd love to see what that chick looks like at at maturity.​

6. stephanie1992

Quote:Cause the california grey hen is barred, and a barred hen under a non barred roo will give sex-linked offspring. I'd love to see what that chick looks like at at maturity.

i had 3 chicks hatch from the california grey and partridge roo. 2 look like this chick. one was all black with white feet but it died. i cant wait to see what they will look like full grown. the older chick i have has wing feathers coming in. there brown with black stripes on them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Cause the california grey hen is barred, and a barred hen under a non barred roo will give sex-linked offspring.

the California Grey hen is actually NOT Barred, but... sex linked Dilute B^Sd wich is an allele of the Barring gene. one copy of B^Sd makes a Hen or Roo look like Barring, two copies of it(only roosters can have two copies as its a sex linked gene making a Hen B^Sd/- barred looking and rooster B^Sd/B^Sd look almost white)

let me quote a dear friend of mine.
    Quote:Flowery Leghorns could have the B^Sd Sex linked Dilution gene also. but its not confirmed
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by