Are these show quality BTM cochins ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrykeeper08, Feb 8, 2009.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I bought some Cochins at a poultry show that are suposed to be show quality . i paid $50 for a pair and $60 for the trio . I really didnt care i just wanted cochins . But now i have other breeds so they are going to get the BOOT ! I was going to list them on egg bid but dont want to post info that isnt true .

What am i suposed to look for in them that makes the SQ and does any one have any pics of theirs

i am giving them baths and taking pics . I will post pics soon

Heres one of the black hens( before her bath )
    [​IMG]

White roo after batch
    [​IMG]

white hen (needs some fluffing up )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Any one [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im not a cochin expert, but they are very nice. The white roo is gorgeous. I would say sq, but im interested in other opinions. Does that black hen have white on her, or is that just some dirt?

4. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    No the black one is solid black . Its dried mud on her i didnt gte to give her a bath yet . I didnt relize how long it would take to bathe and dry 1 chicken . lol But she solid black with sheens of green in the light

5. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    it's hard to say w/o seeing and feeling the bird in person, but the hens seem to have nice wide feathering on the backs and buttons. i don't show so i'm no expert, but the hens look very nice to me. but what color are you tring to produce from two colors?

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    man, I'll take that black hen off your hands if you ever get tired of feeding her and hatching her eggs! I have never shown a chicken, but I really do like her looks!

7. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Pokey Im not trying to produce anything from them lol i just want to know if they are indeed SQ like he guy a bought them from said they were . They are for sale i have to post them on egg bid now

I have 1 more black hen and a black roo too if any one is interested

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    The black hen is beautiful. [​IMG] Her comb is a little off, but I think she would make a wonderful breeder for SQ birds.

The white ones look very pretty, but am concerned about the hock feathers. Are they fluffy or hard? Can you take more pics of their hock feathers. The roos comb is a little sideways but no biggy there. Just wondering if you could take more pics of the hock feathers.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    As long as you post pics of them I am sure you will have no problems selling them.

I think almost anyone would love to have those birds to add to their breeding program.

edit: also cant really tell how wide the cushion is on the white birds. Try a pic to show that.

10. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    What is her comb suposed to look like ?

I can take pics i just need to know what a hook feather is ? lol

i just accidtnly posted the white ones for sale and i wasnt even finished writing about them and i didnt spell check . Looks like i wont be selling them yet . No one wants to buy from some that cant write lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by