Are these signs of cocci or merricks UPDATE PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvchicks8, Sep 26, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My beautiful Stella is stumbling like she has been drinking. No blood in poop. She is eating and drinking. She can't stand vry long without falling over. I brought her in gave her cocci meds and poly vi sol no iron.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old is Stella?

4. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    As I read more this sounds more like Mericks but she was given the vaccination and all my other birds have been tested and banded. I really hope this is not the case. She was in with 4 other show birds.
    poor Stella:hit
    [​IMG]

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I had a bird justlike that, and I'm not saying yours is the same, but I brought mine inside and fed it water with vitamins and electrolytes for a few days, and he was back to normal

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    my error - duplicate

7. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:She is 10 weeks old. None of the others so far show any signs of sickness.

8. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I lost a vaccinated 12 week old pullet to Mereks. The vaccine is not 100% effective. Some recover. Mine did not.

9. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    She starts like this
    [​IMG]

but ends up like this
    [​IMG]

Then on her own back to this
    [​IMG]

10. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    If you haven't already, get some B vitamins into her. That is exactly how Ziva looked and no one else was sick. I crushed up a B-50 tablet, mixed it with some yogurt, and gave her as much as I could. Six hours later, I gave her more of the mixture. A couple hours later, she was able to stand without falling over. She's fine today. You could use the Poly-vi-sol drops but the B-50 was more concentrated and I already had it on hand.

ETA: I should learn to read. [​IMG] You did do this. Give her some every 8 hours or so for a couple days and I'll bet she is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by