Are these signs that pullet is getting broody?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
Hi guys, my pullet(she is 75% japanese bantam and 25% cochin banta) started laying exactly 2 weeks ago. She layed 8 eggs, One I ate and others didn't touch. Today she got on nest and layed in morning around 11:05 AM. After that she went outside and forage for about 1h-1:30 mins, then she came back in nest box and layed there for about 30 mins. After that she got outside again and acted normal. After 2 more hours I took her to nest box and placed her inside, first time she got out, after that I tried second time and she layed there for 2 more hours untill dark. Now its night and she is still there. She is mix of 2 very good broody breeds and she is used-loves being held of petted. She didn't scream of puff at me, I petted her at head for one or two secs. I even took one egg from under her wing and placed next to her, she rolled it back. Are these early signs that she is gonna get broody soon? I really want chicks from her. Thanks

Not really.
I would remove the eggs. I certainly wouldn't encourage her to go broody in a nest box. I would create a broody nest in an out of the way corner of the coop that you can make semi-private and leave fake eggs in that nest and hope she goes broody on her own.
I wrote an article on broody management that you may find useful.

She may be trying it on, but she's still practically a baby herself. Best for her health and the health of her chicks if you wait till she's more mature and her eggs are past the 'fairy' stage.

I did not set my broody silkie until she was 1 year old and then, they weren't her own eggs as we had no roo.

It was really rough on her - she had no idea what she was doing and needed a lot of support. I had to kick her off the nest to make sure she was taking care of herself, eating, exercising etc... She even had a bit of an emotional breakdown 3 days from hatch and ended up with me sitting out and keeping her company for a full day to make sure she didn't toss out her eggs in frustration.

After 2 more hours I took her to nest box and placed her inside, first time she got out, after that I tried second time and she layed there for 2 more hours untill dark. Now its night and she is still there. She is mix of 2 very good broody breeds and she is used-loves being held of petted. She didn't scream of puff at me, I petted her at head for one or two secs. I even took one egg from under her wing and placed next to her, she rolled it back. Are these early signs that she is gonna get broody soon? I really want chicks from her. Thanks
I would not put her in the nest or try to make her go broody.
She certainly might go broody, but she might not. If she does go broody, it will be better for her to do it at the time that seems right to her.

I have had pullets or hens that would lay a clutch of a dozen eggs or so, and then go broody, so I do think it is possible that yours might go broody soon.

In your case, I would take the eggs into your house and keep them safe, but put several fake eggs in the nest for her to sit on if she wants to. Being alternately warm and cold is bad for the eggs. (Warming up while she's there to lay her daily egg is fine. Being sat on all night, and left to get cold in the daytime, is not good, because chicks can start to develop and then die.)

If she starts to sit properly on fake eggs, give her a day or so to be sure, and then give her real eggs back to her.

Think about whether the nestbox is a safe place for chicks to hatch. If not, you might want to move your pullet NOW to a pen with a suitable nest. That way, if she goes broody soon, she will already be in the right place. (Moving her while broody might make her quit being broody. It doesn't always happen, but does sometimes.)

This may not be the right feed, but I need to start somewhere. My Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock is 9 months and going broody on an empty nest. I have looked the site over for what to keep her from doing it. I take her out of the box, and she runs around strutting her feet like a ticked off bull picking fights with her flock mates. I put her up to roost at night, but she goes back during the day.

This may not be the right feed, but I need to start somewhere. My Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock is 9 months and going broody on an empty nest. I have looked the site over for what to keep her from doing it. I take her out of the box, and she runs around strutting her feet like a ticked off bull picking fights with her flock mates. I put her up to roost at night, but she goes back during the day.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-obsessed-with-nesting-box.1506643/#post-25266116

Here is a link to a post about breaking a broody hen. (Breaking the broodiness, not breaking the hen.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-obsessed-with-nesting-box.1506643/#post-25266116

Here is a link to a post about breaking a broody hen. (Breaking the broodiness, not breaking the hen.)
I came home to the regular greeting from Garnet. No egg but she did get the hint, I think. I didn't try this but was getting ready to. She is only 9 months. After removing her from the nest several times a day and putting her on the roost at night she was/is out with her girls today. Soooo, today is 5 days without an egg. THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom